I wonder what will happen to the state of Michigan if one of the auto companies goes under. Well, I guess it is pretty obvious, bad stuff. Besides all the people that work directly for one of the auto companies, those people who depend on the autoworkers will be in trouble too. What about the restaurants that make their money from businessmen on lunch hour? I guess that could be expanded to all the business surrounding the Big 3 facilities. So are all the people that get laid off going to go on unemployment? Move out of the state? Why do I have this grim picture of Michigan in ten years as an old west town with tumbleweeds and guys carrying around six-shooters? Does this also lead to schools closing because of the dwindling population? I can't imagine a lot of schools are being built/expanded in Michigan. So the only jobs available for teachers will be those vacated by retiring teachers.
In other depressing news, Michigan's football team will most likely lose for the 5th consecutive time to OSU tomorrow. It seems like 10 years ago that I was a freshmen and watched the Wolverines beat up on the Buckeyes. I'm just glad I got to see it once as a student. On the bright side UofM basketball may have turned the corner (whatever that means) by beating UCLA last night. My lack of a t.v. prevents me from watching any of this. But has lead me to watch a show on hulu.com called It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, which is great. I recommend it. And thanks to Sean for telling me to watch it. Speaking of which, Sean and I are 2-0 playing pick-up basketball at the IM building. I would compare him to a sprier Tony Kuckouc and myself to a Wally Szczerbiak type of player. We look to maintain our undefeated record by setting picks, getting rebonds and taking charges.
Friday, November 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Because I cut the Breaks! WILDCARD!
you have to see the gas episode...
Haha.. tumbleweeds.... No joke, I was driving my horse trailer down main street in Albion (which is basically a ghost town these days), and I saw HUGE tumbleweeds rolling across the street. It's a very sad little town- it used to be awesome, I can tell, but it is soooo economically depressed right now =( poor albion.
I'm so torn with the auto industry bailout business. Because I really do believe in free markets and sink-or-swim, and the government staying out of it. Because generally, government involvement only creates problems. At least thats what I believe. But at the same time, it is obviously that if the industry goes under, Michigan is in HUGE trouble, as is anyone working in any job related to automobiles. Which is very sad, and I have a lot of family who are involved in it.... But if you think about it at a very basic level- does/should the government help any struggling business? heck no! that defeats the purpose of competition. maybe its just these comany's times. But its definitely bad news for michigan. hmm =/ I guess I just hope whoever is in charge of these decisions really knows what they are talking about (which is sometimes questionable with politicians).
Post a Comment