I had the pleasure of presenting at the MACUL conference about everyone's favorite online webinar tool, DimDim. I think the presentation went pretty well. We were in a really big room so it didn't look like that many people attended but there were probably 30 people watching us. My portion of the presentation was on the features of DimDim, like the white board and chat room. Although I am not nervous to get in front of my class, I was a little unnerved to present at the conference. But once I got up there and started to talk things went smoothly. I was happy that we got some positive feedback after the presentation from the audience members. DimDim really is a great tool and I hope teachers from our presentation find ways to incorporate it in their classrooms.
I also attended a presentation about making videos with students, which was ok. The presenter claimed that students learned much more when engaging in video making. But there are a couple problems with videos. First, there is a lot of scaffolding that is required to get students to a point where they can make good videos. And two, it could take considerably more time than you have to allow the students to make videos.
All and all, it was a really good day and I'm thankful for the opportunity to attend and present.
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Chris, did you feel that the presentation itself was only OK in organizational/stylistic terms, or was it more that the presentation didn't allay the concerns you raise about all that's involved in putting together an effective experience for students involving the making of videos? I'd love to hear more about what was (and what could have been) addressed in this presentation.
Chris
You and Kristin did an outstanding job with your portion of the presenting. I was impressed with your knowledge of the DimDim tool and how smoothly you were able to go over the different portions in a live Webinar! You should be very proud of your presentation, both Jeff and I were so proud.
I went to CA for a job interview and one of the interviewers watched your presentation online somehow and was very impressed with all of you. So therefore, by extension, they were impressed with me.
Thanks!
(-:
Post a Comment