Today, I did a geoparty game with my math students. What is geoparty? Jeopardy for math students, hilarious I know. It went pretty good the students seemed engaged and to be learning from the game. I had them get in groups of three and gave each of them a small white board along with a marker. They had to come up with the answer, jot it down on the board and then hold it up when they were done. This way, I was not trying to pick the student whose hand was raised first, which only leads to problems. Additionally, they each had to think about the problem instead of zoning out while other students played.
The game was not to hard to make but took me a few hours to put together. Putting the links in for each of the slides was the most time consuming part. But now I have a template I can use and change every time I want to use jeopardy as review. Overall, the students seemed to enjoy the change of pace from the every day routine. This may have been the first time they play a jeopardy game like this made from a Powerpoint. Hope this is the first of many successful Powerpoints!
Monday, March 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
GeoParty---I love it! The title sounds so much more fun than a simple review. Your idea of the mini-whiteboards is very smart. I can see how the visual and tactile nature of this project appealed to many students.
Good for you for experimenting, Chris, and congrats on the evident success. What do you think you tapped into by doing this? What kinds of opportunities did it offer your students? How about you?
Post a Comment