Thursday, July 31, 2008

Meeting with previous SMACers

Overall, I think it was a really positive experience talking to the previous MAC students today. One piece of advice I noticed that they all stressed was getting to know your students before the winter. To paraphrase what Bob said, "Don't be a lump of clay in the corner." I think it is important to establish yourself in the classroom from day one. That way when full-time student teaching roles around, it will be easier to manage the class.

Another idea that was mentioned is keeping your camera set up all the time, even if its not turned on. The kids get used to it and when you actually tape, the result will be more authentic. I know from the limited experience we have been taped, it can mess with your head a little. Might as well make it easier on yourself and the kids and leave it up.

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the summer:)

2 comments:

Autumn said...

Hi Chris,
Thanks for sharing those pieces of advice, especially about the video camera, because us English people didn't talk about that. Also, I think that it is important to really get to know the students, too...
Autumn

markpontoni said...

Chris,

Getting to know the students will pay off a great deal once you're in front of the class. Here's a couple of things I did during my observation semester that I think worked.

1) Each week I made a point of establishing one-on-one contact with a couple of students. This could come during reading time (if your mentor does that) but was more effective during group discussions. Entering the group and asking questions about the assignment and even offering some suggestions on how they might deal with the project/problem was very effective. That leads to opportunities to talk to students before the bell when they arrive, checking on their day or their weekend, etc. Don't try too hard of course...we're not looking to make buddies here...but some genuine interest in what is going on in their lives is useful.

2) Make sure you get to teach something during the observation time. Discuss with your mentor a lesson that is in your wheelhouse and find a way to get up there and make it happen. Once you've established your credibility in front of the students you will be looked at as a resource the rest of the semester. Students will approach you with issues/questions and you're on your way to establishing that friendly audience you're going to need in January.